Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hurtin' for Certain













































Yesterday just completely tapped out my legs. After a bike ride on Sat and a run on Sun with another bike ride on Sun, I decided to hit my legs hard with deadlifts and squats yesterday followed by hill repeats. The only thing these legs are doing today is stretching! I've got some serious muscle soreness going on!

I've decided to get in some early a.m. workouts on my street. I live halfway up a killer hill that is perfect for hill repeats for running and biking. I did running (well walking and jogging) yesterday and got in 6 laps in 30 minutes. Thursday I plan to do it on the bike.

PDL
I just realized I never came back and answered the QTC for Day 5.
First, I loved the quote by Anias Nin: We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.
This is so true in my own life of always needing to be right. Always thinking that my way is the right way - it makes sense why I always feel wronged by people...I'm not seeing things as they are, I am seeing them only from my perception.

QTC for Day 5: What happened to me recently that I now realize was a test from God? I can think of several. One is a loss of income and how I handled our finances after that.

What are the greatest matters God has entrusted to me? Steve and Jack and Mai. I started to list more things, but really, these are the three that I think I am supposed to be focusing on.

Day 6 Life Is A Temporary Assignment

I loved this chapter!! It really made it pretty crystal clear, didn't it? What I love about bible studies is that you can read different verses and chapters of the bible, or the bible all the way through and you don't always catch the significance of certain words or phrases like "The bible uses terms like alien, pilgrim, foreigner, stranger, visitor, and traveler to describe our brief stay on Earth." Look at all those words that tell us emphatically that this is NOT our home, we are visitors here. "Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul"

I was particulary interested in the paragraphs on P49-50
"Compared with other centuries, life has never been easier for much of the Western world. We are constantly entertained, amused, and catered to. With all the fascinating attractions, mesmerizing media, and enjoyable experiences available today, it's easy to forget that the pursuit of happiness is not what life is about. Only as we remember tht life is a test, a trust, and a temporary assignment will the appeal of these things lose their grip on our lives. We are preparing for something even better. "The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever."

The fact that earth is not our ultimate home explains why, as followers of Jesus, we experience difficulty, sorrow, and rejection in this world. It also explains why some of God's promises seem unfulfilled, some prayers seem unanswered, and some circumstances seem unfair. This is not the end of the story.

In order to keep us from become too attached to earth, God allows us to feel a significant amount of discontent and dissatisfaction in life - longings that will never be fulfilled on this side of eternity. We're not completely happy here because we're not supposed to be! Earth is not our final home; we were created for something much better."

P51
You will not be in heaven two seconds before you cry out, "Why did I place so much importance on things that were so temporary? What was I thinking? Why did I waste so much time, energy, and concern on what wasn't going to last?"
When life gets tough, when you're overwhelmed with doubt, or when you wonder if living for Christ is worth the effort, remember that you are not home yet. At death you won't leave home - you'll go home.

LOVED THIS CHAPTER!!
DAY 6 QTC: How should the fact that life on earth is just a temporary assignement change the way I am living right now?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie!!! Happy stretching!!! happiness is a LONG stretch...I hear that! I've got a good one for you that will work nicely on your hip flexors. Stand on a step with one foot flat and the other dangling off the step. Then lift the hip of the dangling foot up and down for 12 reps. The switch, and do the other sides. I SWEAR by this stretch. Great for the IT band...nasty little buggar that it is!!!

OK, my PDL answers are as follows for Chapter 5:

The greatest test for me was waiting for Blair (my now 6 year old). Month after month of tears, pain, anger, hurt, frustration...and I was CERTAIN I was being tested (took us 6 years). I also thought I was being punished :( Those were very sad days.
As for the greatest matters - that is easy, it is my children. But, funny after I read your answer Julie, you included Steve in that mix...and I thought...hmmm, maybe I should be adding Dan in. I mean, he's a big boy and all...but seriously, he didn't have the best upbringing or much positive support growing up...why do I expect so many things of him...maybe I should be looking at it is he is someone who needs ME. Maybe I should be focusing more on him like you mentioned. I have been focusing more...but only since February (doesn't that sound nice???eeek), but then I expect him to just take the reins and go. When it doesn't happen, I get upset and frustrated, etc.
Man...I need a lot of work!!! Anybody got a couch I can lay on for a while?!?!?!

LOL

~Helen

Anna Smith, MSA, NASM CPT said...

Hey guys! I am here and reading and trying. I plan on participating as much as possible Right now have about 6 hours os work ot squeeze in the next 1 I have before I meet Mike to climb.

I am finding it hard to process everything in one day. But I am loving reading you guys' thoughts.

The toughest thing was to think what I might want others to think drives my life and then try to figure out what does/what they think does.

Yikes.

A Prelude To... said...

Helen - I put Steve in there a bit as an afterthought. I think that treating our husbands as if God entrusted them to us, which I think He did, can only enrich our marriages. This is a tough one for me right now, but at least it is in my mind and on my heart.

Anna - It's almost like we need two days for each chapter to really let it sink in and process!!

Jessica said...

Hi again! Nice job on your workouts - I am sure your legs were like rubber! My girlfriend lives on the most glorious hill ever and we do hill repeats there often - no good hills really around my house. :( Look forward to reading about how you master those hills!
Jess