Thursday, September 3, 2009

Peter and Timothy

01Peter 2:11-12 (MSG)
Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they'll be won over to God's side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives.
...Exercise your freedom by serving God, not by breaking the rules. 01Peter 2:16


I never did come back to my review of The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss. The two main things I took away from the book are

1) We often think our dream is to have lots and lots of money, when in reality the dream is what we would do if we had that money and often our dream really doesn't require a ton of money. For instance, why do I dream of having millions of dollars? I dream of traveling to beautiful places and doing fun adventurous activities. I dream of not having to work so the kids and I can play and have adventures all day. In reality, I don't need a ton of money to accomplish this, what I really need is the time and freedom of schedule. I need to prioritize and reorganize how I handle my work, not dream of a huge windfall.

2) I waste a lot of time. I live my work life and personal life by a set of rules that I've grown accustomed to, rules that society has set in place or that I've never questioned, rules that if broken (or rather re-defined) would change my world from dreaming the dream to living the dream.

No comments: