Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Chocolate Cake Sutra

I love the library. I love, love, love it! I would put us into the poor house if I bought every single book I want to read, so I LOVE my library. I love that my kids love books. I love that husband agreed to go down to very basic cable for the summer so we WILL read even more. I love The Chocolate Cake Sutra.
I picked it up last minute as we headed to the check out line and then plopped in a chair out in the sun for "a chapter" before heading to the pool for a swim. Swim never happened, but I read over half the book. It's sweet and funny and light AND HEAVY and it was what I was in the mood for.

My two favorite quotes she quotes:

"Above all remember...that you have a great opportunity...Millions all over the world would give almost anything they possess to be where you are. You are there by no desert or merit of your own, but only by lucky chance.
     Deserve it then. Study, do your work. Be honest, frank, fearless and get some grasp of the real values of life. You will meet, of course, curious little annoyances..."
                            -W.E.B. DuBois

AND...

"All the flowers he has made are beautiful: the rose in its glory, the lily in its whiteness, don't rob the tiny violet of its sweet smell, or the daisy of its charming simpliciy. I saw that if all these...blooms wanted to be roses instead, nature would lose the gaiety of her springtide dress...so it is with the world of souls, which is his garden...Perfection consists simply in doing his will, and being just what he wants us to be.
                            - St. Theres of Lisieux



It's not raining - Hooray! I have another little run planned today and the weather seems perfectly sunny even if my chest cold is lingering on. I think one will make up for the other. I've been wishing lately I had a HR monitor that works and then I found out that April is having a giveaway you can check out HERE


There are exactly as many special occasions in life as we choose to celebrate.  ~Robert Brault

No comments: