- Alarm goes off at 5:30 in the flippin' a.m. for this Brick workout today.
- Fall back asleep on the couch while the coffee is brewing.
- Rouse myself back awake, by pure luck, in time to drink coffee, let coffee do its job, get out to the truck to speed out to the workout before I get left behind by all those fast young triathletes.
- Wonder why I keep doing this $h!t to myself year after year.
- Truck is completely frozen over.
- Break through the ice to get into the truck - finally speed away - arrive at meeting location.
- Ask for bathroom.
- Someone nods to the bushes.
- Make my way to bushes, drop trou, perform a perfect ass to grass squat, piddle, stand up, see people looking at me, look at bushes, realize that someone completely pruned them two feet from the ground up, shuffle to my bike hoping no one noticed it was me. Hey - my eyes were still closed, maybe their's were too.
- Head out on 24 mile ride - conquer a huge hill. The Olympic team came out early to position themselves all along our hill to cheer us on and even give me an actual push at one point. I must have been looking pretty rough.
- In the middle of the big hill, look at my bike computer. I. AM. FREAKING. ROCKING. THIS. THING. 11.2 mph up a flippin' mountain. Look down again. 11.3mph. Look again. 11.5mph. This hill ain't got nuttin' on me! I am STEADY!
- Realize I'm looking at the odometer.
- Turn to the trail putty and wish I had some booze. Glad I added the chocolate chips.
- Return to transition area. Screw the landscaping, those bushes still looked pretty inviting. Did my business.
- 5 mile run is slow. I never got into a real groove. My left glute has been bugging me and that in turn started to cause some left knee problems, which started to cause some mental problems so when I arrived home, I had my peeps draw me an ice bath and some hot tea so I could sit and stew for awhile.
- 20 Minutes later I was renewed. Took me an hour to stop my teeth from chattering and then I celebrated the heat returning to my body by getting an icecream cone at the coffee shop.
- Sang Abby's poem to myself.
The alarm goes off.
Just a few minutes more.
My nose is stuffed.
My calves are sore.
It’s cold outside
It looks like rain.
There’s work to do.
Who needs to train?
There’s no clean clothes.
There might be ice.
Can’t find my gloves.
My bed sounds nice.
I brush my teeth.
Pull on my shoes.
The doorbell rings.
No time to shmooze.
I greet my friend.
I start my watch.
A slow warm-up.
Take it up a notch.
We hit the hills.
We’re halfway done.
Then I recall…
…that this is fun!
- Remembered why I keep doing this $h!t.