Friday, March 18, 2011

Pain In The Butt


Spring Break started today and so I promised Mai she could do some runs with me over the next week. I had a 6 miler on the schedule today, so she and Ki joined me for the first two. I couldn't keep up with her. It's annoying to have her running backwards talking to me and encouraging me.
Just look how fast those two are up there. The camera couldn't even catch them being still!

After we got home, I hopped on the treadmill for my final miles but only barely busted out another 3 before giving up. My butt hurt. Bad.
At our first track workout last week, Coach Glen said that if we had any injuries, doing track workouts would only exacerbate them and that we should not do them. I thought to myself, "I should mention my butt." Then I promptly did the workout anyways. Then I did another one this Wednesday...and now my butt really hurts. I had thought it was improving, but now I'm not so sure. So I came up one mile short today, but I figure I've got two big workouts on the schedule this weekend ~ A 30/5 Brick tomorrow and a 45 mile ride on Sunday so I would rather go in as fresh as possible.

We just came back from a huge burrito lunch at Iron Horse in Sellwood and since I'm too stuffed to work out, I'm going to get some video of Mai using our new Bosu Ball that came yesterday, courtesy of CSN. I will tell you that she has already mastered hula hooping and jump roping while balanced on it. I can almost stand on it with both feet for a full 5 seconds. Go me!

Don't forget to enter my giveaway through CSN at the following link: ENTER MY CSN GIVEAWAY
before March 21st! Good Luck!!

21 comments:

Stephanie said...

I don't know how you ride for 45 miles!!! I swear by mile 5 my ass hurts soooo bad! Happy weekend Julie!!!! Have a good one!

A Prelude To... said...

I have calluses :D

Fifty K said...

45 miles! Wow. Kudos to you. You have a bosu ball! I'm jealous! Enjoy!

Rene' said...

What is your butt injury? Mine started to flare up after winter track and I have not been the same since....

Unknown said...

I feel you, younger running buddies (or children) that run backwards in front of you (me) are humbling.

Okay, I might have to try a tri, but only because I want to say "I have a 30/5 brick tomorrow". Sounds so intense.

I hope your butt feels better soon.

A Prelude To... said...

Rene, I went for a three mile run in November or December and nothing seemed out of the ordinary until I finished the run and then every step back to the car hurt. It's never healed. I guess it's a piriformis injury. I don't know what else to do for it at this point...except maybe quit doing track workouts :-(
...but I need to look into it more.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

My butt still hurts too! It has been since a hill workout in like December or January. It doesn't hurt when I run. And it used to hurt when I walked but not really anymore. Now I really only feel it when I do something like step over the dog gate or something. I've tried stretching and foam rolling, but it's just in a real weird, hard-to-get-to location.

Anonymous said...

My butt hurts pretty bad from the successive circuit and interval sessions of the last days. And I didn't ride a bicycle, not even a stationary one! But I'll still try to do another circuit tonight! I think I am masochistic :-)

Aimee said...

My butt used to hurt a lot during my marathon training in the fall! Massage does wonders!

Chris K said...

Running with your kid is pure joy. I just received this big 'ol fan from CSN from a giveaway I won.

Raina said...

Nathan wants to do a 5k...I am not sure hewould keep running the whole way, but he is adamant!!

So sorry about the piriformis, (If that's what it is, Julie). Are you using a tennis ball at all? I have read it's (seriously) supposed to help that muscle like a foam roller would. BUTT I am NO expert there... stay away from the track =(

Have a great weekend. Take it easy..

Teamarcia said...

Woot for spring break and the Bosu! Enjoy them both!

Dawn said...

:)
Nothing like a run with those you love:)
(Great pacers!)

Pain in the butt...I have a few of those....

Have a good weekend!

Rene' said...

Julie....I have a pirformous injury and have been out 8 weeks. have been trying PT etc...but not really working. I am now seeing a chiropractor and am starting accupuncture next week:( I am definitely going crazy, but the track work definitely irritated it. Good luck.

Jo Lynn said...

Is your daughter wearing a running skort? How stinkin' cute! ;)

A Prelude To... said...

Jo Lynn ~
She IS wearing a running skirt. I can't keep her out of it. She wants to wear it all day every day!

Terri said...

You know, I have butt issues, too. I know massage would help but I can't bring myself to go to the massage therapist and say, "I really need work on my butt!"

Jeannie said...

Tell Mai her aunt wants to know when she is going to run her first marathon.

Nikki Kendall said...

Go get a good massage! Tell them you're a runner and your ass hurts...they will totally take care of it, and not think it's wierd!

Quinton J said...

I’m not sure if I told you this already…but I’m so glad you’ve started to post more photos of you. Back when I first started following…I had to dig for like 20 minutes just to find an old scanned photo of you (could barely even see you in it) deep in the bowels of your blog. These new and frequent pics of you are refreshing and I luv’em.

A Prelude To... said...

Q - it's kind of funny that I have a blog about my life- where people would normally post pictures of themselves - because I have always hated having my picture taken! I'm getting better, though :D

My kids also went through this stage where they refused to take pictures of me. Since I spend most of my time with my kids...well...not many pictures of me...but lots of pictures of them!!