Friday, September 10, 2010

Fore!


I forgot I had clubs and balls in the garage, it's been so long since I've played. This made for a great OOTB Challenge today. Mai's mad that I did it while she was at school, but trust me, it's much safer with no kids around. I'm lucky I don't hurt myself.

Today TINA asked us to view the role exercise plays in our lives. For many years I didn't exercise, then I exercised I think just the right amount. I've never felt out of balance with doing too much, just with doing too little.

I think doing this 30 Day OOTB Challenge has been really eye opening to me at just how many fun things there are out there to occupy our time and our bodies. I would actually predict that these 30 days are having a bigger impact on my daughter especially, but also on the boy. We'll never know what sport he's to call his own unless we try a bunch out and so that's what I'm aiming to do.

Movement is where it's at, baby! Where it's at. It doesn't have to be on an elliptical or treadmill or weight room, although if those things make you happy, then you should partake!

One thing that I'm coming to realize is that you have to take care of your body...not just so it will look HAWT! but because if you don't take care of it, it will fail you.

I speak from experience in that I have failed my body and now it is failing me. Years and years and years of not stretching (my legs are so tight, I'm surprised some day they don't just pop), two triathlon seasons of training through shin splints, wearing unsupported flip flops 365 days a year, keeping too much weight on my frame. Oh Boy.
I had my consult today at the sports injury clinic. They were surprised I've let this go on for so long. I told them the only answer I had...I thought with time they would get better. WRONG.

I meet with them again next Tuesday - late day, when the swelling and pain is at it's worst and we'll go from there. I feel like they'll be able to help me. I also feel like it's time for me to step up to the plate and do my part to take care of this problem on the things "I" can, because I'm too young to have to sit with the old people during opening music at church :-(
For reals.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Have something for you over at my blog :)

Kelly
Journey to a New Me
www.anewmejourney.blogspot.com

Tina said...

I have had to make much more conscious efforts to stretch and improve flexibility. It certainly is one of my weak points. I don't know why its so hard to think of as vital.

Amber@momsgottheruns said...

I certainly don't hope your legs pop off! : ) you sound like me! I'm really trying hard these days to not push myself when its not healthy to. its harder than it sounds, thats for sure!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy said...

It's SO great that you and your kids stay so active with new, fun things!! You are very inspiring!
And your point about failing your body and your body failing you - wow. So true. So glad you're taking good care of your bod now. WAY to go!!!

A Prelude To... said...

Tina, it feels so good when I stretch, so I'm not sure why I don't... other than that I just feel like there's not enough time in the day to do something that seems so idle :-(

Amber, the PT actually said "WHOA! Those legs are so TIGHT!" And I'm thinking...hello? I'm laying here on your nice massage table...why don't you get to untightening them?? But I guess they don't do that at a free consult ;-)

Thanks Wendy! My kids totally keep me so much more in line than I would be if they weren't around. Finding fun things for them to do makes it easier for me to get out and actually try new things.

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self said...

I love that you are so dedicated to helping your children experience a variety of MOVEMENT! So important! :)

I hope the sports injury clinic is able to help you - it sounds like they will!

A Prelude To... said...

Thanks, Katie :-)
I sure hope they can figure me out and get me running again!