Sunday, December 30, 2007

Kiara Tackles the Trails - Trail #4 Tryon Creek State Park


























































Kiara Tackles the Trails - Trail #4 Tryon Creek State Park

I wasn't sure if we were going to get our run in this weekend. I've obviously been dealing with shin splints and I also feel like I'm mending a stress fracture of my outer left foot. To top it off I've had a cold the last couple days and during the night it moved into my chest. I figured we could at least go out and give it a try and if my legs/foot were ok, we could hike it all instead of run. We were out for about 1 hour and 20 minutes and I would guess at least 60% of that was running and the other 40% walking and hiking and enjoying the scenery. It was pretty muddy - but I managed to escape some of the worst mud puddles and managed to keep my socks somewhat white. My legs and foot gave me no problems at all - it was my lungs that gave me the tough time...which is fine with me. As long as I know my legs are getting better, I won't stress about not being ready for the Mud Run with Dad in February.

We gave Tryon Creek State State Park a go this weekend. It's 645 acres of forest with interconnecting trails for runners, hikers, and equestrians. I was hoping Ki could meet a horse, but no luck today. It sprinkled briefly on us at the start, but other than that stayed dry and wasn't too cold. We saw a LOT of bright green moss and ferns and although I saw not one animal myself, I know they were out there because Ki was going crazy diving in bushes and trying to pull me along with her for the hunt.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

AWESOME pics!

Isn't it awesome getting out on the trails?! My running group and I are chomping at the bit for it to start getting lighter earlier so we can spend more time on the trails - the scenery is awesome as is the workout!

Take care of yourself!

Cheryl

Melissa H said...

Wow, beautiful trail!! (a tad bit jealous) Didn't get out for a run today because I'm actually catching Conor's cold. :-/ Can't wait until he goes back to school on Monday so I can get back to running outside. This treadmill stuff is for the birds.
(oh -- your shoes totally freak me out. I'd be so stressed that my shoes were all muddy! lol)

Julie said...

Melissa ~ funny about the muddy shoes! Before our first rainy run (I've really only run in the sun/dry before), I wanted to buy some new trail running shoes. Unfotunately they were out of my size (10s) everywhere I went so I ended up wearing my old ones. After about 1 minute of running I realized that I was going to be a mess when I was done and I was so happy that I didn't start with new shoes, because I would have been so bugged with getting them all dirty. When I finally went running with my new shoes I was prepared to not care.