Sunday, April 26, 2009

41/4 Bobble






























26APR09

What a great week! I ran my long run on Wednesday this week due to prior commitments that kept me out of our Saturday group run. I decided to do this run out around the golf course for it's nice soft trail. It's a 2 mile loop so it got a little boring at times, but the fat squirrels and the funny ducks kept me amused...by chasing me down for food! Those critters out there can sure be pesky!

13 miles was on the schedule but I only got 10 in before I ran out of time. I've been working on my shin splints with ibup, lots of stretching and lots of icing. It seems to be helping :o)

We met at the Lucky Lab for our recommittment brunch on Saturday. Everyone else ran together first, but I was at soccer games. Although I really missed running with the group on this special occasion, I definitely was the best smelling teammate around for brunch ;-)

The kids went with me and it was nice to see everyone so excited about our last two months of training and fund raising.


Today had a 50 mile bike ride scheduled and most everyone else was doing an organized ride either down in Salem or in The Dalles, so being too cheap to sign up for either one, I ended up riding by myself. I had planned to do 5 loops around Hagg Lake and then a 5 mile run on the soft trails, but a phone call from Mai at about mile 40 got my mama heart all in an ache, so I cut a loop off my ride. I was feeling great, though! I really nailed my nutrition today and felt strong on the uphills and the DOWNhills, too.


Got the bike packed in the truck and headed out for about a 4 mile hobble/hike/jog before calling it a day. My shins really were feeling "ok", I could hear them talking, but they weren't screaming. What was really screaming were my feet - bottoms, outside, inside - everywhere but on top. So instead of a "brick", I'm calling today a "bobble" - for bike followed by a hobble.

Lots of ibup and icing again today - hoping for several great runs this week!

"So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half asleep, even when they are busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning." - Mitch Albom (Tuesdays with Morrie)

TRUE THAT!! Thanks, Mitch, for your words of wisdom. Definitely something for me to think about this week. Julie

No comments: