Sunday, July 26, 2009

Kiara Tackles the Trails #14 Eagle Creek

Kiara and I had plans to start our Adventure to Eagle Creek at 6am yesterday so we could beat the heat of the day, but when the alarm went off at 5am on a Saturday, the old body told me huh uh. So when we woke at 8:30, I figured we had missed our chance, but Steve decided it was too hot to go dirtbiking, so the pup and I managed to get onto the trail by 11:45. With such a late start, we didn't get to go back in as far as I would have liked, but it was still one of the most beautiful trails we've done in this series (despite my very disappointing pictures).

The first pic is Bottom Punchbowl Falls. You can see two uncertain guys at the top of the falls trying to decide whether or not they were going to slide on down the falls. They eventually did, after much hemming and hawing. I will def take my swimsuit next time and do some swimming next time I'm there!!

At the next falls you can see people trying to get down the wall to reach the river. The chick on the upper left in the blue bikini was having such a hard time and I watched forever thinking she was going to slide right down on her belly and have a heck of a mess...BUT...she made it safe and sound...down anyways.

Third pic was Ki wishing she wasn't always hooked to this damn leash.

Fourth pic kind of shows how dangerous this trail can be - it seriously just drops right down to the canyon floor. I purposefully didn't do this run last fall/winter because of all I had read about the narrow trail that drops off into the canyon. With Ki being a VERY pulling sled dog who loves snow, I felt that she might just take me over the edge and to my death in slipperier conditions. I also did this route on my own to decide if I can take the kids here as part of the Waterfall series, but I don't think so. At this age, I could see maybe taking one kid, but not both - I wouldn't feel safe on my own with them in spots. However, I will be taking them to play in the river! Ki had a blast at the end - swimming and swimming and more swimming!!




No comments: