Sunday, March 4, 2012

Floppies

Yesterday's run was a real boost for me. It was a 6 mile hilly run (and that last hill was a magnificent piece of work that had me drooling out of the side of my mouth and almost collapsing). I felt strong the whole way through (even during the drooling episode). It's all coming back to me - this strength in my running that has eluded me for so long. My run probably had a boost directly related to it being our TNT Mission Day. Our route start and end was lined with posters of the people we run for, the people who have lost their lives to a blood cancer...as you can guess it's quite emotional. Our coaches gave us a pep talk..

...and our honored teammates spoke during our potluck. One of our honored, in particular, touched my heart because he is about the same age as my cousin, Michael, who passed away last year. I so wished it was Michael standing up there speaking to us about how our efforts in fund raising had helped him to be able to be with us on this Mission Day. But that is not how it is.

As a child growing up in a large extended family, I have lots of great memories, but one of the best is of weekend breakfasts at my Grandpa Frank and Grandma Ruth's house. I remember the smell of bacon and the crackling of the oil in Grandma's skillet and her filling plate after plate after plate of food for all of her children and grandchildren. My favorite part of this breakfast? The Floppies! I guess they are kind of like a crepe, but isn't "Floppie" much more fun to roll off your tongue?! I remember all the men, my dad and uncles, and how many floppies they could eat (amazing!) and I loved the taste of the butter and syrup together with the smooth feel of the floppie on my tongue.

After Grandma Ruth passed away, Michael stepped up to fill the role of Floppie flipper. So at family gatherings, he did what we've always done in the Glazier family and he rolled out the big skillet, a huge tub of Margarine and got to it. I so wish somewhere in someone's drawer there was a picture of one of those mornings from way back when of a Floppie breakfast, but I did manage to get a picture of Michael during one of our last family gatherings - our fun family camp out the summer before he got sick again.



Oh...now that's a drool I don't mind sharing with people. Bring on the floppies and let me salivate while I wait in line for them.

My Aunt Cathy decided the tradition could not end with Michael and she has taught his son, Parker, to make floppies and so we continue on. Sometimes it's the smallest thread of tradition that can keep the family quilt together...

When you think of your family or your childhood, what tradition do you love the most?

9 comments:

Colorado Gal said...

I've been thinking of doing a race through TNT also. Although my aunt didn't pass of a blood cancer, it was still cancer and I'd love to be able to fundraise for such a good cause. Just not sure if this summer or next would be better. Good for you!

Kate Geisen said...

What a wonderful memory and a great tradition! Hurray for your awesome, strong run, too. :)

Your story reminded me of Sundays at my grandpa's house. When we were growing up, for the longest time my mom's whole family (she was one of 10 kids) and their kids would come have lunch at my grandpa's after Sunday Mass. Such a fun time together! I still remember getting to (and we saw it as GETTING TO) dry the dishes after the aunts washed, my uncles all watching football/baseball in the living room, the red jello with bananas floating on top, running out back to watch the train go behind the house... :) Good times.

Terzah said...

I loved our big 4th of July picnics at my Aunt Margie's house. It wasn't just family--my parents' friends also came. We'd have a big cookout in the back yard and we kids would run around in a big pack, eat burgers and my aunt's beautiful giant American flag cake. Then we'd all go see the fireworks at the university. Fun times!

Jill said...

Great memory and tradition, I love going back to my grandmother's farm ... it's my "happy place" I go to sometimes when I have a rough day. Thanks, girl, for letting me wander off to that special place a bit before I head off to bed!

So glad you had a great hilly run today. Smiling for ya! :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of the word floppies before, did you make it up? We don't have a large family, so we didn't really have these kind of traditions growing up. But 3 kids and the world's best grandparents can make some great memories! :-)

A Prelude To... said...

You know...I have never heard the term "floppies" outside of our family - so maybe we did make it up. I think it might have come down through my Grandma's family. I'll have to ask around and see where it originated...

Coy Martinez said...

My grandmother makes these Christmas cookies! I wait for them patiently all year long! She also makes cherry pies if she's happy and that's such a treat!

I love TNT and think I'm gonna do one of their events next year!

Teamarcia said...

Oh what a precious pic and what a fun family tradition.
Growing up our grandparents on my mom's side would come over for Sunday dinner every week. It was so much fun to have them there. They too are gone now but their memory lives on in our hearts. :)

Dawn said...

THAT is a neat tradition!!!!
Great Hill run. I find some days on hills are easier than others...